Thursday, January 22, 2009

Efran: Maroc Swiss Alps, Yodel If You Can!

Here is a surreal destination. I had heard Dad mention that we were going to a town called Efran, and every local who heard this nodded knowingly, saying "Ah, Maroc-Suisse!".
I had no idea what this meant until we pulled into the snow-covered town of Efran.  The place was indeed mountainous, and appropriate for skiing (as much as a remote African town could be I suppose).  What I didn't expect was an entire town where the buildings looked like Swiss chalets.  
After many days of watching djellaba-covered locals walking through Medieval streets and crumbling stone riads, I did not expect a destination that looked like Disneyland's idea of Europe's favorite neutrals.
Apparently, this was where wealthy Moroccans came to ski, and investors had put a lot of money into trying to make it the next Telluride.  Judging by the quiet streets, I don't think they have achieved what they wanted yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis