Monday, July 19, 2010

MIAMI: Bikini Central, Fashion Week


My quickie 48 hour trip to South Beach was to attend Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim. I must say, there is quite a difference in culture from Miami Fashion Week and NY Fashion week.

First, I have never seen so much plastic surgery in such a small space. Second, I have never seen so many women try to maneuver stilettos in the sand. Third, a lot more amenities for attendees here than in NY.

My gal pal Fab Ritzy and I stayed at the seemingly see-and-be-seen Hotel Gansevoort. The rooftop pool was home to many a pool party and fashion show (and where no one actually goes to swim). There was a great VIP lounge where Ritzy and I took advantage of the catering and complimentary beauty services. We ended our stay at the Palms Hotel, which had a cozier, classic art-deco Miami feel. The pool was one where we actually went swimming at 2 AM.

Celebs in town were the Kardashian sisters debuting their Beach Bunny line. Kendra the Playboy Playmate launching her book, Phoebe Price, Donald Pliner, and a smattering of NY Fashion regulars (though missing most of the big editors). The smaller presence of NY VIPs was fortuitous for Ritzy and myself. Our seating assignments were much better in Miami than New York.

Did I mention the plentiful open bars in every corner?

The Raleigh Hotel's gorgeous art deco pool was the setting for an old-school synchronized swimming performance on the last day. See the video below. Check out the MsFABulous coverage of Miami Fashion Week.  MAP

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis